Date of Birth
12 Dec 1950
5 feet 9 inches
* Early education in Acharya Patasala and later in Raamakrishna Mission, Bangalore(PUC discontinued)
* Studied in the Film Institute
Sister: Shrimathi Aswathamma
Brothers:Sathya Narayana Rao & Nageshwara Rao
Daughters:Aishwarya & Sowandarya
Earlier worked as
Carpenter, Bus Conductor
English: Blood stone
Malayalam: Alavudheenum Arputha Vilakkum
Dual role: Billa
Triple role:Moondru Mugam
Positive role: Kavikuyil
Singing: Adikuthu Kuliru (Mannan)
Story and Screenplay: Valli
Movie dubbed and released in Japan: Muthu
Ardent Devotee of
* When he was studying in SIFCC institute of film acting, he met Mr.K.Balachander.
* Gave him his screen name 'Rajnikanth'
* Gave him his first role in films.
* Was the only person to encourage him to act in films and gave him good advices.
* In the beginning of his career he used to get nightmares of the film he is acting and also Mr.Balachander will be there screaming at him to act properly.
* K.Balachander's 'Kavithalaya' started their productions with the film 'Netri kan'
Directed 25 of his films. Most of them were turning points in his career.
His favourite film of his films
When he was working as a conductor he wished for Vespa scooter, a single-room apartment, and all the cigarettes money can buy.
Played a major part in putting together an alliance between the DMK and TMC which won the 1996 Tamil nadu elections.
Lee Kwan Yew(Former Singapore prime minister)
- Shivaji - The Boss
The name of his private quarters in his home
Does not like to do art films. Feels that the people involved in films should earn money and make people happy.
Yoga and Meditation
Swift movements, rapid-fire dialogue delivery
* Autobiography of a Yogi
* Gita as it was
* Living with the Himalayan Masters' Swami Rama
* Books written by Shri Ramana Maharishi
Food: Non-Vegetarian items
Dress: White Khurtha
Appreciation Letter from K.Balachander for the film "Mullum Malarum"
Raghavendra Kalyana Mandapam
Likes to spend time alone
Latha Rajnikanth arranged a mega-show to celebrate 25 years of Rajni in tamil cinema
"I saw a fire in his eyes and an enthusiasm coupled with an urge to prove himself. I immediately realized that he was not just one more run-of-the-mill aspirant" - K.Balachander
* 2000 Padma Bhushan award from the Govt of India.
* Tamil Nadu Govt awards
1999 - Best Actor(Padayappa)
1989 - MGR award
1984- Kalaimamani award
1982- Best Actor (Moondru Mugam)
1978 - Best Actor(mullum Malarum)
* Filmfare Awards
1984 - Best Actor(Nallavanuku Nallavan)
* Cinema Express Awards
1995- Best Actor(Muthu)
1993 - Best Story writer (Valli)
1992 - Best Actor( Annamalai)
1991 - Best Actor(Thalapathy)
1988 - Best Achiever Award(Blood Stone)
1985 - Best Actor(Sri Raagavendirar)
1984 - Best Actor(Nallavanauku Nallavan)
* 1995 Best Actor Screen Awards(Peaddarayadu)
* Had a very troubled childhood. Lost his mother when he was only 5 years old.
* His father was a police constable.
* His ancestors were believed to be from a village called Nachiar Kuppam in Dharmapuri Dist. of Tamilnadu.
* 'Å¡ö¨Á§Â ¦ÅøÖõ' is written on the entrance of his house
* Got his diploma in acting from Dr.P.N.Reddy.
* Was discouraged a lot by his fellow film institute students.
* In the beginning he did not know to speak Tamil well.
* His film 'Muthu' was dubbed as 'Dancing Maharaja' in Japan and it ran for 23 weeks in Tokyo. Film 'Yejaman' was dubbed as 'Dancing Maharaja II''
* Has acted in two malayalam films and one Bengali film.
* Likes to drive on his own.
* Had acted in 12 of Amitabh's remade movies in Tamil
* When he was working as a conductor his salary was around Rs.750 and one his friends named Raj Bhadhur gave him money to study in the film institute in Chennai.
* Always prefers Big banners.
18, Ragaveera avenue,
Poes Garden, Chennai- 600086
Happiness begins when ambition ends